And here is my card:
Card Recipe: (All items SU unless noted)
Stamps: Gently Falling (New to SU!)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin Pie, DSP (name?)
Ink: Cajun Craze, So Saffron, Crushed Curry, Lucky Limade
Other: Square Lattice EF, Antique brads, dimensionalsNon-SU: Gold metallic pen, raffia
- The yellowish background is actually one I made by sponging the following colors: Cajun Craze (lightly), So Saffron, Crushed Curry, and Lucky Limade.
- I used a metallic Gold pen to trace the leaf lines. NOT a glitter pen, but an actual gold leaf pen. It makes a big difference in appearance. Here is a close up:
- I used dimensionals under the chocolate chip strip because of the thickness of the raffia taped down underneath.
- I used dimensionals under the leaves and added a double stack under the leaf you see to the left where it looks like it is slightly flipping up to give it more of a 3D effect.
- I added the small touch of the antique brad just because I wanted to :)
That's it for the card, now on to the part where I tell you what I have been up to. On August 23, I began my first day of Volunteering for Micah Ecumenical Ministries in Fredericksburg. You can find their website HERE Their mission scripture is Micah 6:8: "Who has showed you, oh man, what is good? And what does the Lord require of you? To do justice and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God.
They are a very busy organization and do so many things behind the scenes that no one really knows about. I work on Tuesday and Thursday manning the reception desk. This means I check in clients in the computer and schedule appts for them to see counselors.
Each "client" is prescreened by the counselors and have to be totally homeless. Then they are given a Micah ID card. They can come in any day or every day, Mon-Fri, for breakfast and lunch, to get a hot shower, to stock up on toiletries, to get clothes, to make medical appts at free clinics, to sign up for free dental work, free haircuts....... you get the picture. However, it's not just those things. Our counselors try to work with them so that their journey ends with them becoming a productive citizen again. If they are eligible, the counselors help them fill out forms to be able to receive food stamps, disability, or VA benefits. I actually experienced one of our clients getting keys to his new apartment yesterday. That was an exciting day.
I am really liking and enjoying what I am doing. It definitely fills a void in my life. I believe that God puts a desire in our hearts to serve him and to serve others. He said, Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, `Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these My brethren, ye have done it unto Me.'
I always consider how much God has done for me and my family and I know that it is only right to give back whenever possible.
That's it for me today. Tomorrow, I'll be at Micah serving the Lord and serving others! I hope I'll get in a card over the weekend!
Blessings to you all,Terri